COMMITMENT TO COMMUNITY
Employee Volunteering and Fundraising
Listerhill Credit Union exists today as a result of the principle of “people helping people”. Our employees actively carry out this principle today by giving their time and creative fundraising talents to non-profit organizations throughout our service area. We encourage our employees to be involved in local communities programs that make a positive difference.
Donations & Sponsorships
Listerhill is always proactively seeking ways to invest in our communities. We invest generously into our philanthropic partners throughout the counties we serve by volunteering our time and financial support. If you are seeking a donation or partnership with your event, please complete our Donation Request Form. All requests will be considered and are reviewed by a committee on a weekly basis.
CUTips (Credit Union Ticket Program)
Thousands of youngsters from across the Shoals area will have the opportunity to attend University of North Alabama home athletic events for free, thanks to a new Credit Union Ticket Program named CUTip. Lion fans can stop by any Listerhill branch and pick up vouchers good for free admission of youth 13-and-under to any UNA regular-season home athletic event. Vouchers can be redeemed on game day at the UNA ticket booth.
COMMITMENT TO FINANCIAL LITERACY
Listerhill Credit Union actively promotes financial education through free programs, financial counseling and community partnerships. LCU strives to help individuals learn how to become financially secure and establish good habits for wise spending and saving. We are dedicated to helping you realize your financial goals – reducing your debt, saving for higher education, buying your first home, or planning for retirement.
Our Financial Literacy Specialist conducts classroom presentations at elementary, middle and high schools as the primary outreach tool for Listerhill. The credit union also supplies the NEFE materials used in the presentations to educators. The NEFE HSFPP was designed and developed around a special type of education called performance-based learning. With performance-based learning, students take what they learn and apply it directly in the course of each unit. Carefully designed exercises and activities move the student step-by-step toward each of the seven core competencies that the program teaches. In the process, students:
- Create their own financial plan
- Create their own budget
- Propose a personal saving and investing plan
- Select strategies to use in handling credit and managing their debt
- Demonstrate how to use various financial services
- Create a personal insurance plan
- Examine how their choice of career and lifestyle will affect their financial plan
Along the way to learning these seven lessons, students also learn dozens of related skills, all designed to help them see how easy and important it is to manage their resources.
According to a study done by Hartford Financial Services Group, 76% of those who graduate college feel ill-equipped to handle their financial challenges due to not enough financial education. We see this as an opportunity to help. Listerhill Credit Union was founded with a goal of teaching those in the community to make better decisions with their money. We wish to continue that ambition in the college classroom! By offering a 45-minute course on financial literacy, Listerhill provides college students the opportunity to gain a knowledge base that will help them make smarter financial decisions for a lifetime. For more information, contact our Director of Financial Literacy, Matthew Van Ormer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We promote higher education in the community by funding foundation scholarships and additional scholarships through local colleges.
The Hill Scholarship Program
The Hill Scholarship Program was created to provide financial support for Listerhill members who are pursuing higher education. Applicants who best demonstrate a clear vision and motivation to make a difference in their community will be awarded the scholarship. A Listerhill Credit Union team will evaluate all applicants.
For full details on the latest The Hill Scholarship can be found at listerhill.com/scholarships.
Listerhill Credit Union funds multiple scholarships at post-secondary institutions. Scholarship applications may be obtained at each respective institution’s Financial Aid Office.
University of North Alabama
- Albert E. Williams Scholarship - Open to all students who have demonstrated potential for success through grades and college entrance examination scores. Preference to Business Majors.
- Listerhill Employees Credit Union/UNA Alumni - Open to all students who have demonstrated potential for success through grades and college entrance examination scores. Preference to children of employees or children of members of Listerhill Credit Union. This scholarship is for one year only, but prior recipients may reapply.
Northwest Shoals Community College
- Joseph Wade Endowment Scholarship - Open to all students; Preference given to applicants who are members of Listerhill Credit Union. Priority given to students pursuing a 2-year technical degree. Recipient must be a full-time student and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Recipient may be awarded based on enrollment status. Each scholarship is for one academic year, but prior recipients may reapply for subsequent years. Must demonstrate financial need. Selected by the scholarship committee.
- Listerhill Credit Union Scholarship
Online Financial Courses
BalanceTrack is an online personal finance education center. Consisting of 13 self-guided modules, BalanceTrack is designed to help our members develop a thorough understanding of all essential elements of personal finance.
- Money Management
- The World of Credit Reports
- Credit Matters
- The Road to Homeownership
- Checking Account Management
- High Cost Financial Services
- Drive Away Happy
- Identity Theft
- The Basics of Investing
- Financial Planning
- Teens and Money
- Finances for College Students
- Financial First Aid
Take a look at what Listerhill has been up to in our community.
While we hope you find the information you need online, we want to remind you that Listerhill is more than a website. We’re your credit union, and we look forward to helping you. Call us at (256) 383-9204 or 1-800-239-6033 for friendly, local assistance. Better yet, stop by one of our branches for some personal service.